Crispy on the outside. Soft and chewy on the inside. These waffles are the perfect fluffy texture and just the right amount of sweet. They’re so outstanding, especially hot off the iron, they might not even make it to your plate.
This recipe is very basic, so feel free to jazz up the batter by adding in cinnamon, chopped bananas or dates, blueberries, raisins, chocolate chips, flaxmeal, or almond extract. And the sky’s the limit with toppings. I went with fresh fruit, but you can go traditional with maple syrup (keep in mind each tablespoon adds 50 calories); or sprinkle on some chopped nuts, yogurt, fruit compote; or spread on some nut butter.
One waffle is 174 calories, so if you enjoy two waffles with half a cup of strawberries and one-quarter cup of blueberries, it adds up to 393 calories, nine grams of fiber, and 9.4 grams of protein. For a sweet, decadent breakfast, that’s not too high at all!
These waffles taste best hot off the iron, but they’re also pretty delicious warmed up in the microwave the next day. Or these also freeze well for later.
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Whisk almond milk and apple cider vinegar together in a large bowl, and set aside to curdle slightly.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Stir the canola oil, vanilla, and maple syrup into the almond milk mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix well until a smooth batter forms.
- Turn on the waffle iron and follow the directions to cook up the waffles.
- Top with fresh fruit and enjoy immediately.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Pancakes/Waffles
- 6 square waffles
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Calories per serving
POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.
Source: Hot Off the Iron! Healthy Vegan Waffles : PopSugar