For an adorable twist on the usual pancake recipe, whip up these delicious apple ring pancakes. Slice fresh apples — any variety will work — and dip them in oatmeal pancake batter. We’re talking more fruit, more fiber, and fewer calories — just 57 per ring! They’ll fill you up till lunchtime, which is good news if you’re trying to lose weight.
They cook just like regular pancakes, and the apples soften slightly, so when you take your first bite, the apple is slightly crisp but oh-so-warm and juicy. There’s the perfect amount of sweetness — no need for calorie-crazy maple syrup. These were topped with golden raisins and sliced almonds, but you can use any kind of fresh fruit, chopped nuts, applesauce, or a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Related: Low-Cal Apple Pie in a Jar
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup soy or almond milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 apples, washed, cored, and each cut into six slices
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a small bowl, mash the banana. Add the milk, egg, and vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix until just combined. The batter should be on the thinner side.
- Preheat your skillet over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray. Dip each apple slice into the pancake batter, allowing the runoff to fall back into the bowl, and then transfer the apple slice to the skillet. Cook for one to two minutes until small bubbles form on the surface of the batter, and then flip. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook on the opposite side for about one minute or until golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked apple rings to a baking sheet, and place in a preheated 200º F oven to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining batter. Serve topped with fruit and nuts or maple cinnamon yogurt.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Pancakes/Waffles
- 18 rings
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Calories per serving
- 57 per ring
POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.
Source: Find Out How These Apple Pancakes Can Help You Slim Down : PopSugar